JEvents 3.1 (Free Access)

Google Map not showing on frontend  Topic is solved

Forum for JEvents 3.1 for Joomla 3.x and 2.5.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby Fredie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Yes, I've configured Locations and the map shows on the backend when I enter an event. I'm attaching a copy of the Locations Configuration, in case I don't have it correctly done.
locationsMapConfig130219.jpg
locationsMapConfig130219.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Fredie
Gold Members

Postby carcam » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 am

It seems ok to me, but for latest Google maps versions you do not need to provide an API key if you are not in heavy traffic and using a "payed" version of the API. Is this your case? Otherwise, can you please try getting rid of the API key?
¿Sabías que tenemos soporte en español para los miembros del Club de JEvents? ¡ÚNETE AHORA!
carcam
Team Staff

Postby Geraint » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Fredie

I found the problem - the managed locations code is using a script call to load the google javascript that worked in Joomla 2.5 but not in Joomla 3.0

I'll upload a new release the managed locations addon in a few minutes - it will be version 3.0.3
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby Fredie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 am

Still no map on the frontend. I uninstalled locations 3.0.1 then installed the 3.0.3 version, but can't see any changes. I get the same, google is not defined error, and when I do a site search for 'maps.googleapis.com' it's only found in 'administrator\components\com_jevlocations\config.xml' and 'administrator\components\com_jevpeople\config.xml'.
Fredie
Gold Members

Postby Geraint » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

the config.xml file set the config options for the component which you hav set to maps.googleapis.com in your screenshot earlier.

In the location plugin file plugins/jevents/jevlocations/jevlocations.php at line 664 we get the API Url from the config and then load it a few lines later. This is in the event detail page.

Can you try this experiment - first of all make sure lines 666-673 of this file look like
Code: Select all
            if ($googlekey != "")
            {
               JHTML::script( $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?key=' . $googlekey . "&sensor=false", true);
            }
            else
            {
               JHTML::script( $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?sensor=false&region='.$gregion, true);
            }

if the do not then it looks as though the upgrade didn't work on your site. If that is how it looks then change it temporarily to
            if ($googlekey != "")
            {
               JHTML::script( $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?key=' . $googlekey . "&sensor=false", true);
               echo $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?key=' . $googlekey . "&sensor=false";
            }
            else
            {
               JHTML::script( $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?sensor=false&region='.$gregion, true);
               echo $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?sensor=false&region='.$gregion;
            }
            exit();

the view the event detail page - it should now output the URL it is loading the javascript from - it that is ok then try the map under the locations list by changing components/com_jevlocations/views/locations/tmpl/locations_map.php and replace lines 13-20 with
if ($googlekey != "")
{
   JHTML::script($googleurl. '/maps/api/js?key=' . $googlekey."&sensor=false".'&hl='.$hl, true);
   echo $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?key=' . $googlekey."&sensor=false".'&hl='.$hl;
}
else {
   JHTML::script($googleurl. '/maps/api/js?sensor=false'.'&hl='.$hl,  true);
   echo $googleurl. '/maps/api/js?sensor=false'.'&hl='.$hl;
}
exit();
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby Fredie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Thank you. I have it working now. After reading your last response, I realized that I hadn't been checking the event detail dispay. I was only cheking the backend and the default year / month listings. To be sure that I was on track with your response, I removed and re-installed locations ver 3.0.3. With it installed I was able to see the map on the backend and on the detail page, but not for the default year or month listing. To get them to work, I modified the template override to use the last code that you send (less the echo and exit). The only issue that I seem to have now is with the zoom control on the map. It's seems to be there but is distorted. I've attached a screen shot to illustrate.
mapDistorted-Zoom-Control-130221.jpg
mapDistorted-Zoom-Control-130221.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Fredie
Gold Members

Postby Geraint » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 am

Are you using the Map layout (http://www.jevents.net/products/club-layoutsthemes) is have the code already built in so there is no need for a template override.
Geraint

Postby Fredie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

The MAP Layout View doesn't work for me. When I select MAP in the JEvents configuration Choose layout view option, all that I can get on the frontend is an Error 500, Layout calendar not found.
Fredie
Gold Members

Postby Geraint » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am

that sounds as though the installation of the map layout didn't work properly

What version of Joomla/JEvents do you have and what version of the map layout are you installing?

Then please check the content of the folder components/com_jevents/views/map/month/tmpl/? What is there?
Geraint

Postby lickface » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Hello Geraint,

I installed the map template as per your suggestion to another user above, but I am still not seeing a map in any view, even on the backend.

In the backend, when creating a location, the "Find Address" button doesn't seem to do anything:
Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 10.56.40 AM.png
screenshot of the non-functioning "Find Address" button
Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 10.56.40 AM.png (121 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

It was my understanding that the new plugin does not require a Google API. Is there something I'm missing?

Site stats:

Joomla v3.3.1
JEvents v3.1.27
JEvents - Managed Locations v3.2.8
JEvents Map Layout v3.0.10

Ideally I would like the map to appear with all calendar and event detail views. I assume that this is a possibility, assuming I get the component to work properly?

I would also like to allow people to search by zip code for events within a certain specified radius. Is such a thing possible with Managed Locations?

Thank you in advance!

-Dave
lickface
Silver Members

PreviousNext

Return to JEvents 3.1 (Free Access)