JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

Synching with PDA/smartphone  Topic is solved

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby johand » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am

Hello,

I have a joomla site with Jevents (free version) where all my events are placed... Is it possible to synchronyze them with a PDA or smartphone's agenda?

What are the steps i need?

Thx, Johan
johand

Postby Geraint » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

1. Create ical export menu item
2. Generate the export URL by selecting the relevant years and cateogries
3. Use the URL to import into phone/PDA as a remote calendar
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby johand » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 am

Thx,

is it both ways? events created on the smartphone synching to the website is also possible?
It can all be done with the free version of Jevents?
johand

Postby Geraint » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:01 am

There is no push from the phone to the website - you can do that from a service like google calendar but not a device.

BUT one of the two calendars must be the master - it can't be a two way relationship

All that works with the free version of JEvents
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby ljalg » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Thank you for the info. I set it up, got an ical URL and brought that into a google calendar, works like a charm.

The question I have is; is this a static export or does this get updated on a regular basis? if it gets updated, how often and is there a setting in the admin interface or google calendar interface to modify how often.

Thank you,

Louis

Geraint wrote:1. Create ical export menu item
2. Generate the export URL by selecting the relevant years and cateogries
3. Use the URL to import into phone/PDA as a remote calendar
ljalg

Postby Geraint » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am

It gets updated fairly regularily but you will need to search on the google site for information on settings - I've not been able to find info on this myself.
Geraint

Postby ljalg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for the response.

After posting I learned that it is an "update on request" type of thing and the receiving mechanism (Google Calendar) performs the update request. I found a forum post about users "discussing" how often Google updates their ical feeds at https://groups.google.com/a/googleprodu ... Xd9eoTUOkM

I also found in the module menu item > Basic options the "ical Cache time in minutes" which, I'm assuming, means that even if google or another requestor wanted updates every 10 minutes, they would not see the changes until those minutes had past. Default is 1440minutes=1 day.
ljalg

Postby jeff1909 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 pm

ljalg wrote:Thanks for the response.

After posting I learned that it is an "update on request" type of thing and the receiving mechanism (Google Calendar) performs the update request. I found a forum post about users "discussing" how often Google updates their ical feeds at https://groups.google.com/a/googleprodu ... Xd9eoTUOkMPhone Service

I also found in the module menu item > Basic options the "ical Cache time in minutes" which, I'm assuming, means that even if google or another requestor wanted updates every 10 minutes, they would not see the changes until those minutes had past. Default is 1440minutes=1 day.

Is there anyway to change the frequency of these updates? Say, make them more often?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff
jeff1909

Postby ljalg » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Jeff

the update timeframe comes from the requestor, i.e. google, yahoo, etc. not jevents. Using the URL in my previous post you can see some discussion about users frustrated with how often google requests updated information. I have found that other requestors (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) allow you to select an "update now" link as well as have different update frequencies.

You do have control over how often jevents updates it content available. see my previous post.

Thanks,

ljalg
ljalg

Postby Geraint » Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 am

Geraint

Next

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)