I didn't mean "traditional" upgrade... I meant "rip it out and start over."
I installed 1.5.2 once upon a time, so I'm sure it's "possible" to get this installed. I'm not sure why I'm having trouble though.
Here's my status and journey:
1. Installed (and was using) 1.5.2, no problem (other than the ical time zone issue)
2. Installed 1.5.3, though it was not quite clear if/when the installation was actually "successful." I don't remember ever seeing the beautiful blue banner announcing such. But still, the version # was right, as shown in the control panel.
3. Time zone stuff was not working. Per your suggestion re "translation" files, I tried manually copying a couple of files into my Languages folder. Amazingly, the iCal time zone functionality started working. But, all my calendar labels started showing the prefix jev_, i.e. jev_December, jev_Tuesday, etc., etc.
4. No amount of "reinstalling" has done anything other than bring me to the dead, empty, white screen.
5. All of my files and directories seem to be owned by n/a. I assume this is because I'm using a Windows host, yes? Permissions are all set at 666 or 777 depending on whether I use xtPlorer in File Mode or FTP Mode.
6. I tried uninstalling. Big mistake? jEvents is now uninstalled. I had made copies of my jEvents folders, and put them back, but no matter, it is now uninstalled.
7. Further attempts to re-install (yes, I've tried all three methods) fail to complete; though I have seen the jEvents directories get re-created.
Per your request above in pink:
* PHP version 5.2.9-2
* Joomla! 1.5.13
* JEvents 1.5.3
* Web Server software IIS 6.0
* Server Operating system Windows
* Database version 4.1.22 (I think)
* memory_limit from your phpinfo 128MB
* Web browser and version: IE 8; Firefox 3.5.7