Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

JEvents error message

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby windowhunter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi All!
Being a beginner to both Joomla and JEvents and having a minimal (script) programming knowledge I encountered an annoying error. It probably should have solved by just turning down the debug features of Joomla! But oh well, I chose the hard path...

Using WAMP server 2.2 on Windows 7, in a developmant (test) joomla 1.7.1 server, which is populated by the bundled sample data, and extended with JEvents 2.0.7, JEvents Filter and JEvents Latest (and not with any other!) I got an error message reading that

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\wamp\www\testserver\modules\mod_jevents_filter\tmpl\default.php on line 34

when clicking on a title of an event in the JEvents Latest module (though it is kind enough to get all the way till the end of the code, and show the requested content without dieing :) )

After half of my workday passed with bugshooting (I warned you I'm a beginner, with limited knowledge) ;), I changed the 34-th line of {Joomlaserverpath}/modules/mod_jevents_filter/tmpl/default.php

Code: Select all
$form_link = $menuitem->link."&Itemid=".$myItemid;

to:

Code: Select all
$form_link = is_object($menuitem) ? $menuitem->link."&Itemid=".$myItemid : "";

So far this solved my problem, but should be tested more thoroughly.

What it does:
It kindly asks $menuitem if it is an object. If it is, then $form_link gets populated by the value of $menuitem->link, if not then $form_link rests "" as defined earlier (in line 30 of the very same file).

Please consider to reply if I'm totally wrong and should revert it back. I also have a printscreen(GIF 1366*768px ~93KB) of the error, only in case you need it...

All the best:
WindowHunter
windowhunter

Postby Geraint » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 am

I suspect that your problem was caused by this:
1. You initially set a target menu item in the module parameters
2. You have subsequently deleted this menu item

Is this possible?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby windowhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:47 pm

To test the features of JEvents, I set all the menu items in the module parameters, (in the section to where to display the module) But I don't remember if I deleted any menu items after. I should say I didn't deleted anything so far.

Did it help? Is it possible?
If I did deleted, shouldn't the error message be more verbose, eg: check if you have unnecessery menu items in your module parameters page in administration, or something alike...

WindowHunter
windowhunter

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)